LAUDATE DEUM PLEDGE
This Lent, as you reflect on how we are called to practice temperance and sacrifice, consider taking the Laudate Deum Pledge and pledge to take climate actions. You may wish to share the pledge with your school, parish, or religious community. To help you share the Laudate Deum Pledge you can download this graphic and use on social media, newsletters, and bulletins.
2024 Lenten Resources
- Lenten Reflection Guide 2024: Caring for Creation, from Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns. Join for prayer this Lent with reflections on the readings from Ash Wednesday February 14 through Palm Sunday, March 24th.
- Greener Lent: Signup starts January 14th! The Diocese of Raleigh, NC is promoting this excellent program designed for Catholics to reduce their impact on the environment through a community Lenten fast. Greener Lent is a Lenten program based on the Lenten Tradition of prayer, fasting and alms giving. Lent is designed to prepare our hearts to celebrate the Lord’s resurrection. The carbon equivalents that are avoided from our community fast by faith communities or other organizations are tracked and reported each week by participating community. The money donated to the poor as a result of eating less expensive meals is reported in total for all participants each week. Prayer opportunities and resources are routinely provided to participants. All individuals are welcome to participate!. You can choose to participate at your parish or faith community. Encourage members to sign up directly on the Greener Lent website as individuals. Roll out a community-wide Greener Lent program that offers signup within your own parish or faith community on the Greener Lent website. For more information, watch this video and read this longer description of the program.
- Lenten Ecological Series, Ignatian Solidarity Network: This Lent, deepen your commitment to caring for creation as you engage in one of Ignatian Solidarity Network’s ecological Lenten journeys. Whether you’re new to the Lenten Food Waste Fast, No Buy Lent, or Laudato Si’ Lent, or re-engaging one of the Lenten journeys, there is a Lenten journey for you!
- Stations of the Cross: In the wake of the climate crisis, created by Metro New York Catholic Climate Movement. Each of the Stations of the Cross includes a quote from the environmental encyclical of Pope Francis, Laudato Si’: On Care for our Common Home (2015) or a quote from the Apostolic Exhortation, Laudate Deum (2023).
- 2024 Lenten Reflections by Fr. Jim Flynn, a set of daily Lenten reflections with a Laudato Si’ quote and graphic ffor the Lenten Season. Available in English and Spanish.
- 2024 Lenten Reflections, by Sr. CJ Willie C, Ph.D., St. Leo the Great Church, Cincinnati, OH. Beautiful photographs accompanied by Laudato Si’ quotes and Lenten reflections. Available in English and Spanish (same folder)
- Creation Care Tips 2024 Weekly Prompts to Care for Our Common Home, written by The Pastoral Center
- Climate + Faith: How We can Meet the Greatest Challenge in Human History, Salt’s six-week, 40-day devotional takes a “love-and-act” approach (rather than “doom-and-gloom”), building on our love for our neighbors, near and far, and our love for God, Maker of heaven and earth.
- 2024 Lent Resource: Cultivate Creation Justice, Creation Justice Ministries, This Lenten reflection and action guide will help individuals take time to learn, reflect, repent, ask God for forgiveness, and take concrete steps to seek restoration and reconciliation.
- LENT 2024, Journeying with Jesus and forcibly displaced people, Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS). This spiritual booklet seeks to bring us into communion with our brothers and sisters who have been forcibly uprooted.
2024 Lenten Calendars
Laudato Si ‘Lent 2024, from the Laudato Si’ Movement. A curated blend of calendar touchstones, Gospel reflections, and regional calls to action, the Lent Calendar links the contemplative spirit of the Lent Season with the need for ecological conversion through repentance, reflection, and reconciliation. Crafted urgently as people of faith and global citizens, this calendar and associated reflections are a unique fusion of spiritual and prophetic engagement.
Care for Creation 2024 Lenten Calendar, Created by Church of St. Francis Xavier Environment Ministry. New York City.
2024 Lent Calendar, Interfaith Power and Light: From personal reflections to events and calls-to actions, journey along as we become more mindful of the ways that our daily choices impact both our common home and all those with whom we share it. Put one up on the fridge at home, and to photocopy it double-sided and share it with your community as a bulletin insert at an upcoming service. Available in English and Spanish. This particular calendar is thanks to IPL Dc,MD, N.VA, but can be adapted for other regions.
Other Lenten Resources (Timeless)
- Creation and the Gaze of Jesus, A Lenten Way of the Cross, offered by the Laudato Si’ Circle: a Creation Care Team at St. Patrick’s Church, Pelham, NH
- Stations of The Cross – Renew the Earth – Jesuit Refugee Service, USA: The Stations of the Cross is an ancient tradition and a spiritual pilgrimage of accompanying Christ in his passion. While Christ’s Passion existed in history, the Passion continues to play out in modern times. Our sisters and brothers fleeing the damage done by climate change make great sacrifices along their journey to find safety. These Stations of the Cross as a way to walk with Jesus through the streets of Jerusalem, and also to walk with those who have been displaced by the effects of climate change around the world. (Available in English and Spanish)
- Environmental Stations of the Cross, created by the Care for Creation Ministry of Holy Rosary and Our Lady of Guadalupe parishes in Seattle, WA (West Seattle).
- Lenten Lament for Creation, West Side Creation Care Team (Cleveland). Includes a Creation Stations of the Cross linking climate change pains to Jesus’ sufferings.
- Lenten Reflections on the Care for Creation, daily reflections for the 40 days of Lent. Produced by Fr. Emmet Farrell and edited by Mr. Roman Fernandez, Diocese of San Diego Creation Care Network
- CRS Bring Lent to Life at Home-wonderful resource to help families observe Lenten practices of prayer, fasting and almsgiving. Participate in Catholic Relief Services Rice Bowl and connect with families throughout the world.
- Creation Care Lenten Study (Earth Ministry)
- EcospiritualityResources.com has several great Lent resources:
1) Laudato Si’ Reflection Resource: This material focuses on Laudato Si’, Pope Francis’ encyclical highlighting the unity of all creation, current threats to it, relevant Scripture, causes of the problems, and potential solutions. Participants will read and pray with quotes from the document, discuss them and take actions. It also includes suggestions for music and media.
2) Creation Covenant: Lenten Reflections on Integral Ecology: This material focuses on the interconnection of all creation and importance of healthy ecosystems for the present and future wellbeing of all species, including human.
3) Lenten Reflections on Air: This material focuses on the sacred gift of air, the divine Mystery living and acting within that gift, the current quality of air on planet Earth, and how we can respond in faith to this knowledge.
- USCCB information page regarding Good Friday Liturgy
2023 Lenten Resources
- Lenten Reflections, Diocese of Syracuse, Care for our Common Home Task Force: Sunday Gospel reflections for Lent 2023 with a connection to God’s creation.
- Lenten 2023 Resource, Creation Care Ministries: A Lenten daily reflection and action guide will help individuals take time to learn, reflect, repent, ask God for forgiveness, and take concrete steps to change course.
- 2023 Lenten Photo Reflections by Sr. Caroljean Willie ,SC, Ph.D., St. Leo the Great Church, Cincinnati, OH. Beautiful photographs accompanied by Laudato Si’ quotes and Lenten reflections. Available in English and Spanish.
Lenten Calendars 2023
- Care for Creation 2023 Lenten Calendar, Created by Church of St. Francis Xavier Environment Ministry. Special thanks to Nancy Lorence, Church of St. Francis Xavier, New York City, for preparing these.Available in English and Spanish!
- 2023 Lenten Care for Creation Calendar, Created by Laudato Si’ Ministries of the Diocese of Joliet.
- Laudato Si Movement, 2023 Lent Calendar invites us to reflect and act on issues related to our social and ecological sins each week.
- Interfaith Power and Light (DC-MD-NoVA) 2023 Lenten Calendars (produced in partnership with Interfaith Partners for the Chesapeake and EcoLatinos), They invite you to put one up on the fridge at home, and to photocopy it double-sided and share it with your community as a bulletin insert at an upcoming Sunday service or on Ash Wednesday. Calendars available in English and Spanish.