In parishes across the country, our Creation Care Teams have been marking this Advent season by slowing things down and living in the moment. Since most group and indoor activities are not possible right now, we’ve gathered prayers and resources this year to focus on spirituality for ourselves, our families and our communities.
“Living simply, faithfully, and purposefully” has become a good theme for the season. We invite you to share in these simple living and creation care resources focused on doing more with less, celebrating faithfully, and finding joy in prayers and other minimalist resources as we prepare for and await Christmas.
The ideas, resources and programs listed here are perfect for church groups, individuals, families, friends and communities to participate in from home or organize with others, whether it be virtually or small socially distanced gatherings.
- December 2020 Advent Homily Helps, prayers, readings and homily resources for this Advent from Catholic Climate Covenant partners
- Advent Simplicity Challenge, a wonderful interactive challenge, program and resources from Ignatian Solidarity Network.
- Creating Hope, Advent 2020, hopeful and interactive scriptures, inspiration and an Advent calendar from the Global Catholic Climate Movement.
- Take a faith-filled family-centered field trip from the Arlington Catholic Herald
- Cultivating Care for Creation: An Advent Guide from the North Carolina Council of Churches (Ecumenical resource.)
- Advent resources for simple living from Franciscans for Justice.
- Advent Conspiracy, one of my favorite resources! Check out the book and videos.
- Seven Ways to Live a More Intentional Advent, from Modern Catholic Mom.
- Living Advent Simply with Food and Family, which simplifies Advent by focusing on our families and our traditions.
- The Helpful Guide to Simple Christmas, from Joshua Becker of Becoming Minimalist.
- December Prayers and Acts of Kindness, from Corpus Christi.
- 25 Days of Ignatian Spiritual Gifts, daily video reflections from the Jesuit Conference of Canada and the U.S.
- An Advent of Hope, a virtual Advent prayer series from Loyola on the Potomac Jesuit Retreat House.
- For Advent, Let’s Focus on Simplicity, tips from Integrated Catholic Life.
- Advent children’s coloring sheet, from the Catholic Health Association of the U.S. And see daily reflections here.