Pope Francis chose his papal name to honor St. Francis of Assisi, patron saint of those who promote ecology. Pope Francis describes “the poor man of Assisi” as “a man of peace, a man of poverty, a man who loved and protected creation” – in other words, a person who embodies integral ecology.
- Audience with Representatives of the Churches and Ecclesial Communities and of the Different Religions, 20 March 2013
- General Audience, St. Peter’s Square, 1 May 2013
- Pope at Audience: If we destroy Creation, it will destroy us
- Homily of Pope Francis, 19 March 2013
- Rome Reports
- Meeting with Young People, 18 January 2015