I know you share my hope that 2021 will be a more peaceful and settled year. Throughout 2020, Catholic Climate Covenant stayed true to its mission and even thrived – widely attended Season of Creation webinars, the growth of a very active network of Diocesan Creation Care Teams, dozens of new Catholic Energies projects successfully completed, a growing number of supporters, and a booming social media presence. We not only were able to retain all of our staff, but we even expanded, hiring a new director of Youth and Young Adult Mobilization. We have you and God to thank for this abundance.
Pandemic-imposed travel restrictions lowered 2020 greenhouse gas emissions significantly, but we still have much work ahead to respond in solidarity to those under threat because of climate change. We need your continued support to rise to the challenges we face as we emerge from the pandemic, begin the economic recovery, and respond to policies from a new Congress and administration.
In 2021 we plan to:
- Assist the Vatican implement their Laudato Si’ Action Platform in the U.S. and work with our partners to develop seven-year sustainability plans;
- Continue accelerating our Catholic Energies program with dozens of new solar and energy efficiency projects that reduce greenhouse gas pollution while saving on energy bills;
- With our partners, ensure that the voice of the Catholic community is heard as a new administration and Congress roll out environmental policies;
- Host the second (of three) national conferences to help ministry professionals in eight areas more fully integrate Laudato Si’ into their work;
- Reach youth and young adults to help them connect their passion for environmental justice with their Catholic faith;
- Continue to provide top-notch educational programs like the hour-long, community-ready Earth Day and Feast of St. Francis resources—available for free, as always.
On behalf of our Board of Directors, National Catholic Partners, and our amazing staff, I look forward to working with you in 2021.
With boundless gratitude,
Founding Executive Director
Catholic Climate Covenant