HELP KEEP THE CREATION CARE MOMENTUM GOING
Late last year, we announced that 2019 will be pivotal for Catholic Climate Covenant for two reasons: 1) our Catholic Energies will be ready to announce major solar and energy efficiency projects and 2) hundreds of Catholics will convene in June to begin to “weave the green thread through the tapestry of Catholic life. With your help, we are delivering:
- Catholic Energies is about to install the largest solar array ever in Washington, DC: a 2-megawatt system that dramatically reduces emissions and zeros-out the electric costs for all 12 buildings owned by Catholic Charities (both in DC and in Maryland). The savings will be diverted to core mission activities: feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, caring for the sick, and supporting the expectant mother.
- In a few weeks, over 200 leaders from across the US will gather at Creighton University to design resources and programs to more fully integrate Laudato Si’ into the daily life and ministry of our Church and making creation care central to our Catholic identity.
These efforts are turning the tide by engaging a growing number of Catholics on the climate crisis. But they have come at a significant cost to the Covenant in both time and treasure.
We want to carry over the work in 2019 into 2020 so that by this time next year, the 5th anniversary of Laudato Si’, we can assert that the U.S. Catholic Church has faithfully answered the Pope’s call for urgent action on climate change.
Will you be part of the solution to the climate crisis by making a generous gift to the new 2020 Laudato Si’ Fund?
Our goal is to raise $40,000 for the 2020 Laudato Si’ Fund. Your gift will immediately have an impact. It will:
- Provide critically needed funds to ensure follow up with the 200 U.S. Catholic leaders meeting at Creighton University who are mapping paths to successfully implement and integrate Laudato Si’ and its climate change teachings into the life and ministry of the U.S. Catholic Church.
- Help grow the number of U.S. Catholic facilities and institutions reducing their carbon footprint and their energy bills by installing solar panels and using the savings for core mission activities.
- Enable the creation and dissemination of new and exciting Laudato Si’ inspired resources to parishes, schools, and religious communities such as the Feast of St. Francis, Earth Day, and Creation Care Teams.
- Empower the implementation of legislative advocacy strategies to ensure that U.S. leaders hear the cry of the earth and the cry of the poor.
Fully funding the 2020 Laudato Si’ Fund is imperative. The evidence of our impact on the planet is now clear. Both current and future generations are watching, and you can do your part with a donation to support our efforts. Will you help us reach the goal of $40,000 by our end-of-fiscal year on June 30th?
Finally, for every gift of $150 or more, we will send you a hardbound copy of the book Caring for Creation: Inspiring Words from Pope Francis from Franciscan Media as a thank you gift.
With immense gratitude,
The Catholic Climate Covenant Team