Tips For Reducing Your Impact
If your destination is close, consider walking or biking instead of driving. Every mile you travel with foot power instead of petrol power saves one pound of carbon.
Resources for Nationwide Screening of Sun Come Up
CATHOLIC COALITION ON CLIMATE CHANGE SPONSORS NATIONAL SCREENING OF ACADEMY AWARD-NOMINATED FILM SUN COME UP
BEYOND EARTH DAY: AN EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM
for Parishes, Youth Ministry/ High Schools, & Colleges
The Catholic Coalition on Climate Change is pleased to sponsor a nation-wide screening of the Academy Award-nominated film Sun Come Up, depicting some of the world’s first “climate refugees,” inhabitants of the Carteret Islands just north of Bougainville, Papua New Guinea. See the trailer here.
See map of all locations for Sun Come Up events here.
See FLYER about this event (a downloadable editable Flyer for your local event is below)
The film and accompanying materials demonstrate the important role that the Catholic Diocese of Bougainville has played in resettling some of these refugees and provides a concrete example of responding to Pope Benedict XVI’s, 2010 World Day of Peace Message:
“Can we remain indifferent before the problems associated with such realities as climate change . . . Can we disregard the growing phenomenon of ‘environmental refugees’, people who are forced by the degradation of their natural habitat to forsake it – and often their possessions as well – in order to face the dangers and uncertainties of forced displacement?” (No. 4) ~Pope Benedict XVI
WHEN? Over 300 events were held in celebration of the Feast of St. Francis. Join them to celebrate Earth Day! If that does not work, please pick another date that works for you.
- To hear real stories about how climate change is impacting people and cultivate solidarity.
- To educate and inspire action on climate change within our faith community
- Learn how to respond to the unfolding climate crisis with actions that are consistent with Catholic teaching and the priorities of the U.S. bishops and the Vatican.
- To take the St. St. Francis Pledge to Care for Creation and the Poor.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE?
Register your group (minimum of 50 people) for an event here:
SIGN UP HERE
REMINDER: The film is 40 mins. long and with the discussion guide questions and other activities (like signing people up) we are suggesting that you plan for a 90 min. event.
RESOURCES necessary for Screening:
- Education Kit with Discussion Guide
(downloadable PDF: make sure you have the latest Adobe Reader)
- “Carteret Island Tulele Peisa Update” (downloadable Power Point)
- DVD of film: If you wish to participate, you must purchase or rent the DVD directly from the distributor (New Day Films).
Here are the steps:- Go to the webpage: https://www.newday.com/film/sun-come- Select the public library version for $129 on the pull down menu- Add to cart- Proceed to check out- At checkout, you will see an option for “coupon code”- Add the discount code CCCDIS- The amount should change to $65
(editable – Each of these resources can be modified to fit your needs with blank spaces for suggested text inserts):
- Sample Press Release
- Bulletin Insert
- Bulletin Insert (2-pages)
- Flyer as a PPT page OR Flyer in Word format
If you have any questions, please contact us.